2 Corinthians 5:20

We are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: We implore you on Christ's behalf,
Be Reconciled To God

Monday, December 7, 2009

The Chronicles

Last Saturday was a day of prayer and fasting for our nation. Our nation has done much to provoke God’s anger and judgements, being full of unbelief, false religions, atheism, and people doing whatever is right in their own eyes instead of doing what is right in the eyes of the Lord. Sin is boasted of and paraded in our society, no longer being a shame to us. Our government does not fear God, nor use His moral law as a standard of righteousness. God’s Word, instead of being reverenced, is mocked, ignored and gladly replaced with the wisdom of man. Christ’s church in this land is little better: split with many schisms, deluded with false doctrine, laden under unbiblical worship, and content with a dead faith unable to change lives to the glory of Christ.

Under such circumstances we did what the Bible directs us to do: hold a public day of prayer and fasting, confessing our nation and our church’s sins in order that in bringing them to the surface the Lord would pardon them and bring righteousness to our land by His Holy Spirit. We prayed that the Lord would bring great reformation to our land, that the civil government would profess and fear Christ as the King of kings, that godly civil magistrates would fear God more than man and would remove false religion and worship from our nation, would enforce God’s 10 commandments in our society and that they church would grow strong and unify herself under the influence of Christ’s grace from heaven, purify herself in doctrine and worship, and be filled with a faith that sanctifies sinners to the glory of Christ.

In accord with the purpose of the day, after our meeting where we learned from scripture and prayed, I went out to downtown Greenville to preach. It turns out that I got there after a Christmas parade had gone through and people were leaving. The roads were blocked off and there was a festival with rides for kids at the square I normally preach at. So went and stood on the opposite corners and began to preach loudly towards the families and people congregated and walking by, and said,

“Be astonished, O ye heavens, at this, and be horribly afraid, be ye very desolate, saith the LORD. For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water." (Jer. 2:12,13)

I also preached on Jer 2:19 and 3:12

“Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that it is an evil thing and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear is not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts.”

“Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever.”

The Lord gave me much liberty and confidence in God’s Word that night as I preached for an hour and a half or so; many people took notice, and heard, I believe, sufficiently enough to save them. A guy came up to me and asked me how I picked out the corner I was on to preach on. I said that this corner was as good as any. He said that some people preach in front of bars or this or that. I said that it didn’t matter to me. People’s problem is not whether they are drunkards or not, but that they need their sins to be forgiven by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment