2 Corinthians 5:20

We are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: We implore you on Christ's behalf,
Be Reconciled To God

Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Chronicles - San Francisco

Tuesday afternoon I took the ferry across the Bay of San Francisco. The only thing more beautiful than the weather was the view: rolling hills lining the expansive water, sail boats casually navigating the breeze, big tankers slowly floating along, bridges lining the distance, islands passing by and military strongholds upon the highest embankments protecting the borders. The sight of this great port city, rich with the merchandise and trading of the world made me think of Tyre of old,

"Howl, ye ships of Tarshish; for it is laid waste... Is this your joyous city, whose antiquity is of ancient days?... Who hath taken counsel against Tyre, the crowning city, whose merchants are princes, whose traffikers are the honorable of the earth? The Lord of Armies has purposed it, to stain the pride of all glory." (Isa. 23:1,7-9)

As soon as one is off the ferry shopping venues and malls immediately present themselves. I walked down the sidewalk along the piers, being taken in with all of the unfamiliar sights and sounds. There was such a diversity of people, activities, buildings, and districts. There was already a line 45 minutes long for the trolley I was going to take for a scenic ride up to Union Square, so I had to change plans. After wondering about a few blocks I found a bus going that way and after asking a few people for directions I made it to Union Square: a sqare block park in the middle of giant buildings surrounding it on every side.

I felt more than a little out of place. Everyone seemed like they were in a rush going somewhere; all types of people were passing by, many of whom probably didn't even know English. I had no idea where I was other than that in a half hour someone was supposed to pick me up to go eat. I felt alone, like a foreigner in a strange land, not knowing what I was doing.

Then I considered that all these people I saw were yet made in the image of God and that in the midst of the hustle and bustle and impressive buildings, the Creator remains the same and that He is as the bright sun that was shining in the sky overhead, and that He would be with me as I sought to preach to His creatures who are all in a hurry doing something else.

I preached on the parable of the prodigal son from Luke 15: how God the Father rejoices and comes running to hug us and weep upon our neck when we repent and come back to Him, rejoincing that though "my son was dead, he is alive again; he was lost, but now is found." The big buildings reflected my voice well so that lots of people could hear. The Lord gave me much help and many people listened to what I said as they stood at the intersection and walked by. After a half hour or so I had to stop and catch my ride to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment