2 Corinthians 5:20

We are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: We implore you on Christ's behalf,
Be Reconciled To God

Sunday, February 7, 2010

God's Earnest Invitation, part 3

"Now this desire of approbation is an abundantly sufficient closing of the mouth of such as stumble at the gospel, being appointed thereunto, and an expression of Christ's good liking to save sinners. Expressed in his borrowed wishes, Deut. 5:29. O that there were such a heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep my commandments. Ps. 81:13. O that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel walked in my ways, which wish, as relating to disobeying Israel, is a figure, or metaphor borrowed from men, but otherwise shows how acceptable the duty is to God, how obligatory to the creature. But the Lord's expostulations, Ezek. 18:31. Why will ye die, O house of Israel? Verse 32. For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dies. In the Lord's crying to sinners, Prov. 1:20. Wisdom cries, she utters her voice in the streets. The word is to cry with strong shouting, either for joy, Ps. 81:2, or sorrow, Lam. 2:19, which expresses Christ's desire to save sinners."


- Samuel Rutherford (1600-1661), from Christ Dying and Drawing Sinners to Himself, pp. 443-45 (1647).

2 comments:

  1. Good day! This is kind of off topic but I need some helр fгom an еstablisheԁ blog.
    Is іt tοugh to set up yοuг oωn blog?
    I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinκing about
    making my own but Ι'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Thank you

    My weblog; http://www.cebuguesthouse.com/guestbook/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knoω this web site gіνes quаlity ԁepenԁent articleѕ or
    гeνiеωs and additional stuff, is theге any other ωeb site whіch gives such stuff іn quality?


    Review my blog pοst mywallshd.com

    ReplyDelete