2 Corinthians 5:20

We are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: We implore you on Christ's behalf,
Be Reconciled To God

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Chronicles

Yesterday (Friday) I had the day off from work; it was the first time in over a year that I was able to preach with Pastor McCurley at lunch as we used to do. It was refreshing to to have him with me. I also had lots of energy, which I normally don't have, usually coming from after work. He was going to have to leave right after he finished preaching so I got there 20 minutes before him and began preaching on Psalm 119:81, "My soul faints for your salvation; but I hope in your word."

I preached on how the Christian sometimes finds himself fainting in this life, unable to go on, as he looks to God to save him from his sin and misery; that the Christian's eyes are always looking to his future salvation when God will deliver him from his troubles. For these times, God gives us in the present His word to hope and trust in, which sustains us in this life as we look to the things promised in it and wait upon God. The Christian life is often of this twofold character: of fainting and of hoping. God uses the weakness of faith to strengthen us.

The Lord gave me much liberty in opening up His word and much compassion for the people that heard as they walked by. I continued until Pastor McCurley arrived. He preached on the verse, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins." His preaching was striking in contrast to the people walking by who were minding their own things, who had probably never heard such a message before. God's Son, the Redeemer, was magnified before them.

No comments:

Post a Comment